Looking for a quick and easy plant-based meal? This Black Bean & Quinoa salad is simple to whip up, packed with vegetables and healthy grains.
- 90g Quinoa (raw)
- 25ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1g Ground Cumin
- 3g Garlic
- 15ml Lime Juice
- 120g Black Beans - Canned/Drained
- 80g Red Pepper
- 80g Yellow Pepper
- 30g Spring Onions - Bulbs and Tops
- 0.5g Cayenne Pepper (optional)
- 150g Cherry Tomatoes
1. Rinse the quinoa in a colander with cold water and drain off. Add the quinoa to a saucepan and pour in 2 cups of water or vegetable stock. Bring it to the boil, cover and simmer on a low heat for approx. 15 minutes until the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy (check by using a fork).
2. While the quinoa is cooking, whisk the olive oil, cumin, garlic, lime, salt and cayenne (if using) together in a mixing bowl to let the flavors marry while you chop the vegetables.
3. Rinse and drain the black beans, then chop the vegetables approximately the same size as the beans.
4. Add the cooked quinoa, beans and vegetables to the bowl and gently fold it all together with the dressing. The quinoa can be warm, room temp, or cold when you make the dish.
Serve on its own or as a side to accompany a meal.