Great as a mid-week dinner or way to spice up your vegan meal repertoire, this Spicy Mexican Bean Chilli packs a serious punch when it comes to flavour and plant-based protein. Serve up with Quinoa for an added vegan protein hit!
- 400g pinto beans
- 400g black beans
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 500ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 1 tsp each smoked paprika, chilli powder, oregano
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp brown sugar or maple syrup
- 240g dry quinoa (allow approximately 60g quinoa per person)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 1 sliced avocado
- Start by heating up some olive oil in a heavy-bottom pan and sautéing the onion and carrots for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add the tomato paste, crushed garlic, chilli and all the spices to the pan and stir continuously for one more minute.
- Next, stir in the can of tomatoes along with 500ml vegetable stock. Once it starts bubbling, reduce the heat to simmer and drain and rinse the beans before adding them to the pan. Stir in the maple syrup and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the quinoa by rinsing thoroughly and adding it to another pan on a medium heat with 500ml cold water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer until all the water has been absorbed (around 15 minutes).
- Once the quinoa is cooked and has absorbed of all the water, add a drizzle of olive oil, salt and pepper, and lime juice to taste. Divide the quinoa equally between each plate, along with a generous portion of the chilli. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve with sliced avocado, fresh coriander and a wedge of lime.