High in carbohydrate, good-quality protein and easy on the stomach, Kedgeree is a great dinner-time option the night before a big game; giving you the energy you need to hit the pitch on top form.
Ingredients (serves 1)
- Haddock fillet, smoked -100g fillet
- Onion- 60g
- Egg- 1 medium
- Basmati brown rice - 50g
- Unsalted butter - 1 tbsp
- Red chilli (optional)- ½ small chilli
- Lemon juice - ½ lemon
- Fresh parsley, chopped - pinch
- Mild curry powder - 2 tsp.
- Add the rice to lightly salted boiling water and boil for 10-15 mins or as required until cooked
- Meanwhile, place the haddock fillet in a large frying pan with just enough water to cover, bring to a simmer and cover; leaving for 2-3 minutes until fish is tender
- Drain, skin and flake the haddock, discarding any bones.
- Melt the butter in a large frying pan and fry the onion over a low heat until soft. Add the curry powder & chilli (if using) and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Place egg in pan of boiling water and boil for 10 minutes, until hard. Once cooked, allow to cool slightly before peeling.
- Whilst eggs are boiling, add the rice and cooked haddock to the onions and season well, stirring over a low-moderate heat.
- Stir in the parsley and lemon juice.
- Place eggs on top and serve!